Monday, March 1, 2004

People You Never Meet

There are lots of people who play roles in our lives that we never meet. I'm not talking the "butterfly in Japan causing a hurricane" thing here. Rather, I'm talking about those people that we watch routinely that affect who we are. Characters in books, movies, TV shows.... And, for me particularly at this moment, sports players.

Right now I'm watching the Texas Longhorns play the Oklahoma State Cowboys. The season is almost over, and I am realizing that this will be one of my last opportunities to see the seniors on this team (Royal Ivey, Brandon Mouton, James Thomas, and Brian Boddicker) play. I see these guys and remember how long I've watched them for, and just know, I'm going to miss them. Yet, I've never met them. When (if?) they lose in the tournament this year, I'll feel sorrow for the loss, but there will be more sorrow for the fact that I won't see them play again.

These guys changed the way I played basketball, and changed my approach to competition generally. As trivial as it may seem, they did in fact change me.

So, how do I thank those that have affected me so? Remember what I learned? Give them credit? I don't know... that seems so trite, but maybe that's all there is to it.

No comments: