Sunday, May 2, 2004

Why I Care About Strongholds

This is simply a post from the "Strongholds" thread on Crossings that I didn't think received enough attention. Just kidding. Sorta.

In any case, the primary reason that I argue against this doctrine is that it is not orthodox in any branch of the church. It is used to oppress and to scare. It is the false invention of a handful who have removed themselves from the bounds of the historic teachings of the church in order to proclaim their "new approach". But their approach is misleading. There are no steps, there are no pattern prayers, there are no magic words that are the keys to freedom and success in your life. Any who teach such things are false teachers misleading the body. There is His unmerited grace, there is His unyielding faith, there is His body and His blood and His gospel. That is what there is, and beyond these things we have need of nothing. He brings us to freedom, without steps and books and seminars. Why do I fight this battle? Because those very teachings were what held me bound for so long. Those teachings robbed me of my faith in His work, pointing instead to formulas cobbled together from misinterpretations. I fight this battle because I fight the greater danger.

No comments: